EU’s Kallas says ‘we have 30 days’ to find Iran nuclear solution

Update EU’s Kallas says ‘we have 30 days’ to find Iran nuclear solution
EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas said Friday the coming weeks offered an “opportunity” to hammer out a diplomatic solution on Iran’s nuclear program. (Ritzau Scanpix/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 12 sec ago

EU’s Kallas says ‘we have 30 days’ to find Iran nuclear solution

EU’s Kallas says ‘we have 30 days’ to find Iran nuclear solution
  • France, Britain and Germany on Thursday set off a mechanism that could reimpose United Nations sanctions on Iran in 30 days for failing to comply with commitments over its nuclear program

COPENHAGEN: EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas said Friday the coming weeks offered an “opportunity” to hammer out a diplomatic solution on Iran’s nuclear program, after European powers triggered a 30-day deadline for sanctions to come back into force.

“We are entering a new phase with this 30 days that is now giving us also the opportunity to really find diplomatic ways to find a solution,” Kallas told journalists.

“We have this 30 days to sort things out,” she added.

France, Britain and Germany on Thursday set off a mechanism that could reimpose United Nations sanctions on Iran in 30 days for failing to comply with commitments over its nuclear program it agreed to a decade ago.

Russia condemned the move to launch a process that could reimpose UN sanctions on Iran over its nuclear program, saying it was absurd to solely blame Tehran for the collapse of the 2015 nuclear accord.

That came after weeks of warnings over Iran’s alleged breaches of the 2015 agreement with world powers to curb its nuclear program. The sanctions were suspended under the deal.

Iran warned that it would “respond appropriately” to the step, which risks ending the most sustained diplomatic push in years for a peaceful solution to the Iranian nuclear crisis.

But the United Nations has also said the next 30 days represents a “window of opportunity” to strike a new deal.

France’s foreign minister Jean-Noel Barrot said that “Iran’s nuclear escalation must not go any further” but emphasized the move “does not signal the end of diplomacy.”


Israel declares Gaza’s largest city a combat zone and halts humanitarian pauses

Israel declares Gaza’s largest city a combat zone and halts humanitarian pauses
Updated 7 min 56 sec ago

Israel declares Gaza’s largest city a combat zone and halts humanitarian pauses

Israel declares Gaza’s largest city a combat zone and halts humanitarian pauses
  • The city was among the places that Israel paused fighting last month to allow food and aid supplies to enter
  • Israel’s military did not say whether they had notified residents or aid groups about the plans to resume daytime hostilities

GAZA CITY: Israel’s military on Friday said it was suspending mid-day pauses to allow the delivery of humanitarian aid to Gaza City, calling it a “a dangerous combat zone.”
The city was among the places that Israel paused fighting last month to allow food and aid supplies to enter from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
The “tactical pauses” lasted applied to Gaza City, Deir Al-Balah and Muwasi, three places where hundreds of thousands of displaced people are sheltering. The pivot comes as Israel prepares to broaden its offensive, mobilizing tens of thousands of troops to seize Gaza City.
Israel’s military did not say whether they had notified residents or aid groups about the plans to resume daytime hostilities.
Israel has said in the past that Gaza City is a Hamas stronghold, with a network of tunnels that remain in use by militants after several previous large-scale raids. The city also is home to some of the territory’s critical infrastructure and health facilities.
The United Nations said Thursday that the besieged strip could lose half of its hospital bed capacity if Israel invades as planned.


UAE joins global anti-drug campaign, $2.9bn worth of illegal drugs seized

UAE joins global anti-drug campaign, $2.9bn worth of illegal drugs seized
Updated 29 August 2025

UAE joins global anti-drug campaign, $2.9bn worth of illegal drugs seized

UAE joins global anti-drug campaign, $2.9bn worth of illegal drugs seized
  • The operation saw 12,564 suspects arrested around the world

DUBAI: The UAE joined a multi-nation, two-month anti-drug campaign that seized 822 tons of illegal drugs worth $2.9 billion, state news agency WAM reported.

Running from June 10 to Aug. 7, the operation saw 12,564 suspects arrested around the world, WAM reported.

It was the second time members of the International Security Alliance have carried out such an operation targeting international criminal groups.

Other member states of the International Security Alliance taking part in the operation included Bahrain, Morocco, Spain and France.

There were also members of the American Police Organization and the European Union Agency for Law Enforcement Cooperation, as well as personnel from Jordan, involved in the operation.

The cross-border cooperation enabled the gathering of information on new criminal networks, exchange of expertise on drug smuggling methods and the unifying of efforts in combating narcotics, which enhanced joint preparedness and developed proactive mechanisms to counter and control the movement of illegal drugs, WAM reported.

The ISA framework was established in 2017 by the UAE and France to enhance cooperation and build partnerships to address issues of global significance, particularly combating transnational organized crime.


Lebanon says 2 soldiers killed in Israeli drone strike

Lebanon says 2 soldiers killed in Israeli drone strike
Updated 29 August 2025

Lebanon says 2 soldiers killed in Israeli drone strike

Lebanon says 2 soldiers killed in Israeli drone strike
  • The Lebanese army said on Thursday that two military personnel were killed and two wounded when an Israeli drone crashed and then exploded in the Ras Al-Naqoura area of southern Lebanon

BEIRUT: The Lebanese army said on Thursday that two military personnel were killed and two wounded when an Israeli drone crashed and then exploded in the Ras Al-Naqoura area of southern Lebanon.
The Israeli military expressed its regret for the “injury” of the soldiers due to what it said was a “technical malfunction” during a strike in southern Lebanon that it claimed targeted Hezbollah infrastructure.


UN Security Council renews Lebanon peacekeeping mission ‘for a final time’

UN Security Council renews Lebanon peacekeeping mission ‘for a final time’
Updated 29 August 2025

UN Security Council renews Lebanon peacekeeping mission ‘for a final time’

UN Security Council renews Lebanon peacekeeping mission ‘for a final time’
  • Peacekeeping operation in Lebanon extended until the end of 2026, and will then begin a year-long ‘orderly and safe drawdown and withdrawal’
  • The 15-member council unanimously adopted a French-drafted resolution after a compromise was reached with the US, a veto-wielding council member

UNITED NATIONS: The United Nations Security Council on Thursday unanimously extended “for a final time” a long-running peacekeeping mission in Lebanon until the end of 2026, when the operation will then begin a year-long “orderly and safe drawdown and withdrawal.”

The UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL), established in 1978, patrols Lebanon’s southern border with Israel.

The 15-member council unanimously adopted a French-drafted resolution after a compromise was reached with the United States, a veto-wielding council member. The Security Council decided “to extend for a final time the mandate of UNIFIL.”

The resolution “requests UNIFIL to cease its operations on 31 December 2026 and to start from this date and within one year its orderly and safe drawdown and withdrawal of its personnel, in close consultation with the Government of Lebanon with the aim of making Lebanon Government the sole provider of security in southern Lebanon.” This will be the last time the United States will support an extension of UNIFIL, said acting US Ambassador to the UN Dorothy Shea.

“The security environment in Lebanon is radically different than just one year ago, creating the space for Lebanon to assume greater responsibility,” she told the council. UNIFIL’s mandate was expanded in 2006, following a month-long war between Israel and Hezbollah, to allow peacekeepers to help the Lebanese army keep parts of the south free of weapons or armed personnel other than those of the Lebanese state.

That has sparked friction with Hezbollah, which effectively controls southern Lebanon despite the presence of the Lebanese army. Hezbollah is a heavily armed party that is Lebanon’s most powerful political force.

“Decades since UNIFIL’s mandate was extended, it is time to dispel the illusion. UNIFIL has failed in its mission and allowed Hezbollah to become a dangerous regional threat,” Israel’s UN Ambassador Danny Danon said after the vote. The United States brokered a truce in November between Lebanon and Israel following more than a year of conflict sparked by the war in Gaza.

The US is now seeking to promote a plan for Hezbollah’s disarmament. Washington is linking the plan to a phased Israeli withdrawal from southern Lebanon, while also promoting a US- and Gulf-backed economic development zone in Lebanon’s south aimed at reducing Hezbollah’s reliance on Iranian funding.

Lebanon’s Prime Minister Nawaf Salam welcomed the extension, noting that it “reiterates the call for Israel to withdraw its forces from the five sites it continues to occupy, and affirms the necessity of extending state authority over all its territory.”


Extremist minister Smotrich calls for Israel to annex Gaza

Extremist minister Smotrich calls for Israel to annex Gaza
Updated 28 August 2025

Extremist minister Smotrich calls for Israel to annex Gaza

Extremist minister Smotrich calls for Israel to annex Gaza
  • Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich says if Hamas doesn't surrender Israel should annex a section of the territory each week

JERUSALEM: Israel’s Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich on Thursday called on the government to begin annexing parts of the Gaza Strip if Palestinian militant group Hamas stands by its refusal to lay down its weapons.
The far-right minister, who has vocally opposed striking a deal with Hamas to end the nearly two-year war, presented his plan to “win in Gaza by the end of the year” at a press conference in Jerusalem.
Under Smotrich’s proposal, Hamas would be given an ultimatum to surrender, disarm and release the hostages still held in Gaza since the group’s October 2023 attack that triggered the war.
If Hamas refuses, Smotrich said Israel should annex a section of the territory each week for four weeks, bringing most of the Gaza Strip under full Israeli control.
According to Smotrich, Palestinians would first be told to move south in Gaza, followed by Israel imposing a siege on the territory’s north and center to defeat any remaining Hamas militants there, and ending with annexation.
“This can be achieved in three to four months,” he said.
His remarks come as Israeli forces press a major offensive aimed at seizing control of Gaza City — the territory’s largest — despite mounting concern for the fate of Palestinian civilians there.
The vast majority of Gaza’s more than two million people have been displaced at least once during the war.
Smotrich in his remarks called on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu “to adopt this plan in full immediately.”
The Palestinian militant group condemned the proposal, saying in a statement that it constituted an “open endorsement of the policy of forced displacement and ethnic cleansing against our people.”
Smotrich is one of several far-right members of Israel’s ruling coalition to have expressed support for re-establishing settlements in the Gaza Strip, from which Israel withdrew troops and settlers in 2005.
A staunch supporter of the settler movement who himself lives in a settlement in the occupied West Bank, Smotrich authorized last week a major project in that territory which critics say threatens the territorial integrity of any future Palestinian state.
Smotrich has said that the settlement project in the area known as E1, east of Jerusalem, was intended to “bury the idea of a Palestinian state.”