Lebanon drafts reply to US demand for Hezbollah to disarm, sources say

Lebanon drafts reply to US demand for Hezbollah to disarm, sources say
Lebanese officials were drafting a response on Tuesday to U.S. demands for armed group Hezbollah to relinquish its weapons across the country by November in exchange for a halt to Israeli military operations, two sources briefed on the matter said. (AFP/File)
Short Url
Updated 01 July 2025

Lebanon drafts reply to US demand for Hezbollah to disarm, sources say

Lebanon drafts reply to US demand for Hezbollah to disarm, sources say
  • Barrack said full disarmament should be completed by November or by the end of the year at the latest
  • The proposal also refers to establishing a mechanism overseen by the United Nations to secure the release of Hezbollah-linked prisoners by Israel

BEIRUT: Lebanese officials were drafting a response on Tuesday to US demands for armed group Hezbollah to relinquish its weapons across the country by November in exchange for a halt to Israeli military operations, two sources briefed on the matter said.

The deadline has turned up the heat on Iran-backed Hezbollah, which was struck hard by Israel during last year’s war, is suffering a financial crunch and faces pressure in Lebanon to disarm.

Washington’s demands were conveyed by Thomas Barrack, US special envoy to Syria and ambassador to Turkiye, during a trip to Beirut on June 19.

The sources, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter, told Reuters Barrack had shared a written roadmap with Lebanese officials and told them he expected to hear back by July 1 on any proposed amendments.

The six-page document centers on the disarmament of Hezbollah and other militant groups, and urges Lebanon to improve ties with neighboring Syria and implement financial reforms, they said.

It proposes a phased approach to disarmament, in which Hezbollah would hand in its arms throughout Lebanon in exchange for the withdrawal of Israeli troops occupying areas in south Lebanon, the sources said.

Barrack said full disarmament should be completed by November or by the end of the year at the latest, they said.

Disarmament would end Israeli strikes targeting Hezbollah members and unlock funds to rebuild parts of Lebanon destroyed by Israeli forces last year, they said.

The US has said Washington will not support reconstruction in Lebanon without Hezbollah laying down arms.

The proposal also refers to establishing a mechanism overseen by the United Nations to secure the release of Hezbollah-linked prisoners by Israel, the sources said.

They said Barrack had urged Lebanese officials to seize the opportunity laid out in the roadmap as it “may not come up again.” He is set to return to Lebanon next week.

Barrack had not yet gotten Israeli approval for the roadmap, the sources said. There was no immediate response from the US state department, Israel’s prime minister’s office or Israel’s foreign ministry to Reuters requests for comment.

’THE RIGHT TO SAY NO’
Lebanon has appointed a committee to formulate a preliminary response, comprised of delegates from the offices of Prime Minister Nawaf Salam, President Joseph Aoun and Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, a Hezbollah ally, the sources said.

It was not clear whether the initial reply would be ready by Tuesday. The US proposal includes a condition that the final deal be sealed with a unanimous decision by Lebanon’s government, the sources said.

The second source, and a third source briefed on the matter, said Berri was in close communication with Hezbollah to secure the group’s input.

“Hezbollah has not refused to cooperate with the committee and in fact began sending signals of cooperation — but has not committed to disarming,” the third source said.

The prospect of securing Hezbollah’s disarmament — unimaginable two years ago — underlines the big shifts in the Middle East power balance to the detriment of Iran’s allies across the region since the start of the war between Israel and Hezbollah ally Hamas in October 2023.

Some of Hezbollah’s arsenal was destroyed by Israeli airstrikes, and other depots in southern Lebanon were handed over to Lebanon’s army in accordance with the US-brokered ceasefire that ended that round of conflict.

That deal called for the disarmament of armed groups across Lebanon. Hezbollah has said it applies only to the group in Lebanon’s southernmost districts.

Hezbollah has not commented publicly on Barrack’s proposal. But in a televised address on Monday, its secretary general, Naim Qassem, reiterated Hezbollah’s resistance to US and Israeli pressure and urged other Lebanese to do the same.

“We have the right to say ‘no’ to them, ‘no’ to America, ‘no’ to Israel,” Qassem said. “We call on you in Lebanon: do not help Israel and America with their plans.”

Qassem said the US and Israel “want to exploit the moment to turn the equation in the entire region in their image.”


Israeli strikes hit Yemeni capital Sanaa, Houthi-run TV reports

Israeli strikes hit Yemeni capital Sanaa, Houthi-run TV reports
Updated 2 sec ago

Israeli strikes hit Yemeni capital Sanaa, Houthi-run TV reports

Israeli strikes hit Yemeni capital Sanaa, Houthi-run TV reports
CAIRO: Israeli strikes hit the Yemeni capital Sanaa on Sunday, the Houthi-run Al-Masirah TV said, two days after Houthi militants fired a missile toward Israel.
Sanaa residents said the strikes targeted areas near the presidential complex, missile bases, and oil and power stations. There was no immediate comment from the Israeli military.
On Friday, the Houthis said they had fired a ballistic missile toward Israel. An Israeli Air Force official said on Sunday the missile most likely carried several sub-munitions “intended to be detonated upon impact.”
“This is the first time that this kind of missile has been launched from Yemen,” the official said.
Since Israel’s war in Gaza against the Palestinian militant group Hamas began in October 2023, the Iran-aligned Houthis have attacked vessels in the Red Sea in what they describe as acts of solidarity with the Palestinians.
They have also frequently fired missiles toward Israel, most of which have been intercepted. Israel has responded with strikes on Houthi-controlled areas, including the vital Hodeidah port. (Reporting by Mohammed Ghobari, Jaidaa Taha and Maayan Lubell, Writing by Muhammad Al Gebaly, Editing by Jan Harvey and Ros Russell)

US envoy meets Netanyahu on Lebanon and Syria, Israeli officials say

US envoy meets Netanyahu on Lebanon and Syria, Israeli officials say
Updated 24 August 2025

US envoy meets Netanyahu on Lebanon and Syria, Israeli officials say

US envoy meets Netanyahu on Lebanon and Syria, Israeli officials say
  • Barrack arrived in Israel on Sunday and met with Netanyahu to discuss Syria and Lebanon, according to three Israeli officials

Top US envoy Thomas Barrack arrived in Israel on Sunday and met with Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to discuss Syria and Lebanon, three Israeli officials said.
The meeting was first reported by Axios, citing three Israeli and US sources, and followed discussions between Barrack and Israel’s Minister for Strategic Affairs Ron Dermer and Defense Minister Israel Katz.
Dermer held talks with Syria’s foreign minister Asaad Al-Shibani in Paris on Tuesday on security arrangements in southern Syria, two Syrian sources familiar with the meeting said.
Syrian and Israeli officials have been conducting US-mediated talks on de-escalating conflict in southern Syria. A previous round of talks was held in Paris in late July but ended without a final accord.
On Monday, Barrack said in Lebanon that Israel should comply with a plan under which Lebanese militant group Hezbollah would be disarmed by the end of the year in exchange for a halt to Israel’s military operations in Lebanon.
The plan sets out a phased roadmap for armed groups to hand in their arsenals as Israel’s military halts ground, air and sea operations and withdraws troops from Lebanon’s south.
Lebanon’s cabinet approved the plan’s objectives earlier this month despite Hezbollah’s refusal to disarm, and Barrack said it was now Israel’s turn to cooperate.
There was no immediate comment from Netanyahu’s office.


Iran’s Khamenei calls US issue ‘unsolvable’ amid nuclear standoff

Iran’s Khamenei calls US issue ‘unsolvable’ amid nuclear standoff
Updated 24 August 2025

Iran’s Khamenei calls US issue ‘unsolvable’ amid nuclear standoff

Iran’s Khamenei calls US issue ‘unsolvable’ amid nuclear standoff
  • The Islamic Republic suspended nuclear negotiations with the United States after the US and Israel bombed its nuclear sites during a 12-day war in June

DUBAI: Iran’s supreme leader said the current situation with the United States was “unsolvable,” and that Tehran would never bow to pressure to obey Washington, amid a standoff with Western powers over its nuclear program, state media reported on Sunday.
The Islamic Republic suspended nuclear negotiations with the United States after the US and Israel bombed its nuclear sites during a 12-day war in June.
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei’s comments come after Iran and European powers agreed on Friday to resume talks to try to restart full negotiations on curbing Tehran’s nuclear enrichment work.
“They want Iran to be obedient to America. The Iranian nation will stand with all of its power against those who have such erroneous expectations,” Ayatollah Ali Khamenei was reported as saying.
“People who ask us not to issue slogans against the US ... to have direct negotiations with the US only see appearances ... This issue is unsolvable,” he added.
France, Britain and Germany have said they could reactivate United Nations sanctions on Iran under a “snapback” mechanism if Tehran does not return to the table.
The European states, along with the US, say Iran is working toward developing nuclear weapons. Iran says it is only interested in developing nuclear power.


Mediterranean rescues find 3 Sudanese sisters dead on an overcrowded migrant boat

Mediterranean rescues find 3 Sudanese sisters dead on an overcrowded migrant boat
Updated 24 August 2025

Mediterranean rescues find 3 Sudanese sisters dead on an overcrowded migrant boat

Mediterranean rescues find 3 Sudanese sisters dead on an overcrowded migrant boat
  • The sisters from war torn Sudan, who were 9, 11 and 17 years old, are the latest known victims of a Mediterranean migration route that has claimed more than 30,000 lives since the International Organization for Migration started counting in 2014
  • Volunteers with the German group RESQSHIP found their bodies after rescuing some 65 people from the unseaworthy boat in international waters north of Libya on the night of Friday to Saturday

BARCELONA: Three young sisters have died after an overcrowded rubber dinghy took on water in bad weather while trying to cross the Mediterranean Sea to Italy, a German nonprofit organization reported Sunday.
The sisters from war-torn Sudan, who were 9, 11 and 17 years old, are the latest known victims of a Mediterranean migration route that has claimed more than 30,000 lives since the International Organization for Migration started counting in 2014.
Volunteers with the German group RESQSHIP found their bodies after rescuing some 65 people from the unseaworthy boat in international waters north of Libya on the night of Friday to Saturday. A fourth person was reported missing at sea.
Their mother and brother were among survivors who were brought to shore on the Italian island of Lampedusa late Saturday, the group said.
The green rubber dinghy had departed Zuwara in Western Libya earlier Friday.
“The boat was really overcrowded and partially deflated,” Barbara Satore, one of the rescuers, told The Associated Press. “It was a really pitch dark night with 1.5 meter (4.9 feet) waves, and the boat had been taking on water for hours.”
Satore said they found it after an alert from the Alarm Phone network, which receives calls from migrant boats in distress.
It was only after rescuers evacuated around two-thirds of the people on board that the bodies emerged floating in a pool of water and fuel at the bottom of the boat.
“I heard a woman screaming and a man pointing into the water,” Satore said. The darkness and weather conditions made the rescue very dangerous, she added. “The medical team attempted resuscitation but they had been underwater for an extended period of time.”
The mother remained in shock and sat next to the remains of her daughters aboard the rescue ship, Satore said. Relatives asked the crew for white sheets and wrapped the bodies with them.
Among the other people rescued were pregnant women and many children, Satore said. Four of them required urgent medical evacuation and were transferred to an Italian coast guard vessel alongside their family members. Survivors came from Sudan but also Mali, Ivory Coast, Ethiopia and Eritrea she added.
Separately, a different Mediterranean rescue group said it had saved more than 50 people from one migrant boat but failed to reach a second boat in distress after it had been intercepted by Libyan coast guards.
“The so-called Libyan Coast Guard and associated actors are accused by an independent United Nations Fact-Finding Mission of serious human rights violations and c rimes against humanity in Libya,” the SOS Humanity NGO said in a statement. “Forcing people who seek protection back to a country where they face torture and abuse is violating international law.”


Sudan’s RSF shells hospital, abducts 8 in El Fasher: rescuers

Sudan’s RSF shells hospital, abducts 8 in El Fasher: rescuers
Updated 24 August 2025

Sudan’s RSF shells hospital, abducts 8 in El Fasher: rescuers

Sudan’s RSF shells hospital, abducts 8 in El Fasher: rescuers
  • The Emergency Response Room at the Abu Shouk camp near El Fasher on Sunday said RSF fighters stormed the site, seizing eight unarmed civilians — six women, a 40 day old baby and a three year old child and taking them to an undisclosed location

PORT SUDAN: Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces shelled a hospital in North Darfur’s besieged city of El-Fasher and abducted six women and two children from a displacement camp, rescuers and a medic said Sunday.
El-Fasher, under RSF siege for over a year, is the last major city in western Darfur still held by the army and a flashpoint in the war that erupted in April 2023 between army chief Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan and his former deputy and RSF commander Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo.
The Emergency Response Room at the Abu Shouk camp near El-Fasher on Sunday said RSF fighters stormed the site, seizing eight unarmed civilians — six women, a 40-day-old baby and a three-year-old child — and taking them to an undisclosed location.
More than 20 camp residents were missing, the rescuers said, warning the actual number could be higher.
Abu Shouk, home to tens of thousands of displaced people, has been attacked twice this month. The first assault left dead more than 40 people, according to first responders.
On Saturday, RSF artillery hit the emergency and trauma unit of a hospital in El-Fasher, wounding seven people, including a staff member, a doctor told AFP.
The bombardment, which continued into Sunday morning, “caused damage to the emergency department, forcing us to suspend operations,” said the doctor, requesting anonymity for safety reasons.
The hospital is one of only three still functioning in the city.
Since losing Khartoum in March, the RSF has stepped up attacks on El-Fasher and surrounding camps in a bid to tighten its hold on western Sudan where it now controls most of the Darfur region.
Abu Shouk is among three camps outside El-Fasher where famine was declared late in 2024.
The United Nations has warned famine could spread to the city, though a lack of data has so far delayed a possible declaration.
The conflict, which has killed tens of thousands, has triggered what the UN calls the world’s biggest displacement and hunger crisis. Both sides face accusations of war crimes and using starvation as a weapon of war.