Federal judge issues order blocking Trump effort to expand speedy deportations of migrants

Federal judge issues order blocking Trump effort to expand speedy deportations of migrants
Above, new US Border Patrol agents take part in their graduation ceremony from the US Border Patrol Academy on Aug. 27, 2025 in Artesia, New Mexico. (Getty Images/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 18 sec ago

Federal judge issues order blocking Trump effort to expand speedy deportations of migrants

Federal judge issues order blocking Trump effort to expand speedy deportations of migrants
  • Setback for the Republican administration’s efforts to expand the use of the federal expedited removal statute
  • The effort has triggered lawsuits by the American Civil Liberties Union and immigrant rights groups

WASHINGTON: A federal judge on Friday temporarily blocked the Trump administration from carrying out speedy deportations of undocumented migrants detained in the interior of the United States.
The move is a setback for the Republican administration’s efforts to expand the use of the federal expedited removal statute to quickly remove some migrants in the country illegally without appearing before a judge first.
President Donald Trump promised to engineer a massive deportation operation during his 2024 campaign if voters returned him to the White House. And he set a goal of carrying out 1 million deportations a year in his second term.
But US District Judge Jia Cobb in Washington, D.C., suggested the Trump administration’s expanded use of the expedited removal of migrants is trampling on individuals’ due process rights.
“In defending this skimpy process, the Government makes a truly startling argument: that those who entered the country illegally are entitled to no process under the Fifth Amendment, but instead must accept whatever grace Congress affords them,” Cobb wrote in a 48-page opinion issued Friday night. “Were that right, not only noncitizens, but everyone would be at risk.”
The Department of Homeland Security announced shortly after Trump came to office in January that it was expanding the use of expedited removal, the fast-track deportation of undocumented migrants who have been in the US less than two years.
The effort has triggered lawsuits by the American Civil Liberties Union and immigrant rights groups.
Before the Trump administration’s push to expand such speedy deportations, expedited removal was only used for migrants who were stopped within 100 miles of the border and who had been in the US for less than 14 days.
Cobb, an appointee of former President Joe Biden, didn’t question the constitutionality of the expedited removal statute, or its application at the border.
“It merely holds that in applying the statute to a huge group of people living in the interior of the country who have not previously been subject to expedited removal, the Government must afford them due process,” she writes.
Cobb earlier this month agreed to temporarily block the Trump administration’s efforts to expand fast-track deportations of immigrants who legally entered the US under a process known as humanitarian parole — a ruling that could benefit hundreds of thousands of people.
In that case the judge said Homeland Security exceeded its statutory authority in its effort to expand expedited removal for many immigrants. The judge said those immigrants are facing perils that outweigh any harm from “pressing pause” on the administration’s plans.
Since May, US Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers have positioned themselves in hallways to arrest people after judges accept government requests to dismiss deportation cases. After the arrests, the government renews deportation proceedings but under fast-track authority.
Although fast-track deportations can be put on hold by filing an asylum claim, people may be unaware of that right and, even if they are, can be swiftly removed if they fail an initial screening.


US environmental agency fires five ‘whistleblowers’: non-profit

US environmental agency fires five ‘whistleblowers’: non-profit
Updated 5 sec ago

US environmental agency fires five ‘whistleblowers’: non-profit

US environmental agency fires five ‘whistleblowers’: non-profit
  • The EPA appeared to acknowledge the job losses in a statement on Friday, but did not specify if employees were fired
  • The EPA suspended more than a hundred employees in July after they signed the scathing open letter
WASHINGTON: A science advocacy group on Friday lambasted the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for firing five “whistleblowers” who signed a public letter critical of the Trump administration.
“The EPA fired five whistleblowers who signed the EPA Declaration of Dissent, and issued a Notice of Removal for an additional four employees,” according to a statement from Stand Up for Science, a non-profit organization created in response to US President Donald Trump’s cuts to federal research funding and other policies.
The EPA appeared to acknowledge the job losses in a statement on Friday, but did not specify if employees were fired.
“Following a thorough internal investigation, EPA supervisors made decisions on an individualized basis,” an agency spokesperson wrote to AFP, declining to comment on “individual personnel matters.”
Since taking charge of the federal agency tasked with ensuring clean air, land and water, EPA Administrator Lee Zeldin has executed Trump’s agenda, including gutting climate regulations, ramping up fossil fuel development and slashing funding for clean energy.
The changes have drawn fierce backlash from scientists and environmental advocates alike.
The EPA suspended more than a hundred employees in July after they signed the scathing open letter accusing Zeldin of pushing policies hazardous to both people and the planet.
The letter – signed by 270 employees with 170 choosing to be named – described a climate of political interference and warned that the agency’s leadership was eroding public health protections and scientific integrity.
On Friday, the EPA noted their “zero-tolerance policy for career officials using their agency position and title to unlawfully undermine, sabotage, and undercut the will of the American public that was clearly expressed at the ballot box last November.”
“The petition – signed by employees using a combination of their titles and offices – contains inaccurate information designed to mislead the public about agency business,” it added.
The Trump administration has similarly clamped down on federal employees who signed letters of dissent at other agencies, including the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

One dead after ‘massive’ Russian attack in Ukraine

One dead after ‘massive’ Russian attack in Ukraine
Updated 11 min 46 sec ago

One dead after ‘massive’ Russian attack in Ukraine

One dead after ‘massive’ Russian attack in Ukraine
  • Ukraine’s central Dnipropetrovsk region also came under attack early Saturday
  • Kyiv acknowledged on Tuesday that Russian troops had entered the region

KYIV: A ‘massive’ overnight Russian attack on central and southeastern Ukraine killed at least one person, authorities said Saturday, with homes and businesses damaged in multiple cities.
“At night, the enemy carried out massive strikes” on Zaporizhzhia, Ukraine’s state emergency service said on Telegram.
At least one person was killed and sixteen others wounded, including two children, according to regional military administration chief Ivan Fedorov.
“Russian strikes destroyed private houses, damaged many facilities, including cafes, service stations, and industrial enterprises,” Fedorov said.
Ukraine’s central Dnipropetrovsk region also came under attack early Saturday, the governor said, reporting strikes in Dnipro and Pavlograd.
“The region is under a massive attack. Explosions are being heard,” Sergiy Lysak wrote on Telegram, warning residents to take cover.
Since Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, Dnipropetrovsk had been largely spared from intense fighting.
But Kyiv acknowledged on Tuesday that Russian troops had entered the region, after Moscow claimed its troops had gained a foothold there.
Dnipropetrovsk is not one of the five Ukrainian regions – Donetsk, Kherson, Lugansk, Zaporizhzhia and Crimea – that Moscow has publicly claimed as Russian territory.


Indonesia protest blaze kills 3 as anger erupts over driver death

Indonesia protest blaze kills 3 as anger erupts over driver death
Updated 18 min 58 sec ago

Indonesia protest blaze kills 3 as anger erupts over driver death

Indonesia protest blaze kills 3 as anger erupts over driver death
  • The country was rocked by protests across major cities including the capital Jakarta on Friday
  • The protests were the biggest and most violent of Prabowo Subianto’s presidency

MAKASSAR, Indonesia: At least three people were killed by a fire started by protesters at a council building in eastern Indonesia’s Makassar city, a local official told AFP Saturday, after demonstrations across the country following the death of a motorcycle taxi driver hit by a police vehicle.
The country was rocked by protests across major cities including the capital Jakarta on Friday, after footage spread of a gig motorcycle driver being run over by a police tactical vehicle in earlier rallies over low wages and perceived lavish perks for lawmakers.
Protests in Makassar descended into chaos outside the provincial and local city council buildings, both set on fire and vehicles set ablaze as protesters hurled rocks and Molotov cocktails.
Three people were killed as a result of the fire at the Makassar city council building, its secretary Rahmat Mappatoba said.
“They were trapped in the burning building,” he said, accusing protesters of storming the office to set the building on fire.
“This is beyond our prediction, usually during a demonstration, protesters only threw rocks or burn a tire in front of the office. They never stormed into the building or burned it.”
Two of the victims were staff at the local council and another was a civil servant. Two died at the scene while one died in hospital.
At least four people were injured in the fire and are being treated at hospital, the official said.
The fire has since been extinguished. Images showed the provincial council building ablaze overnight.
Protesters at the South Sulawesi provincial council building tried to knock down the gate and storm in.
In the capital Jakarta, hundreds massed outside the headquarters of the elite Mobile Brigade Corp. (Brimob) paramilitary police unit they blamed for motorcycle gig driver Affan Kuniawan’s death, throwing firecrackers as police responded with tear gas.
A group of protesters tried to tear down the gates of the unit, notorious for its heavy-handed tactics, and pulled a sign from the building’s facade in chaotic scenes.
Police said they had detained seven officers for questioning in connection with the driver’s death.
The protests were the biggest and most violent of Prabowo Subianto’s presidency, a key test less than a year into his rule that forced him to quickly urge calm, order an investigation and visit the family of the slain driver.
He has pledged fast, state-driven growth but he had already faced protests for widespread government budget cuts to fund his populist policies including a billion-dollar free meal program.
Protests also spread to other major cities on Friday in Indonesia, including Yogyakarta, Bandung, Semarang and Surabaya in Java and Medan in North Sumatra province.


Search for Australian gunman enters fifth day as weather closes in

Search for Australian gunman enters fifth day as weather closes in
Updated 25 min 34 sec ago

Search for Australian gunman enters fifth day as weather closes in

Search for Australian gunman enters fifth day as weather closes in
  • Dezi Freeman, previously known as Desmond Filby, is believed to have expert bushcraft skills and multiple powerful firearms
  • Australian media have reported that police believe Freeman is a “sovereign citizen” who regards the government is illegitimate

SYDNEY: Australian police battled severe alpine weather on Saturday on the fifth day of a search for a gunman who escaped into dense bush after allegedly shooting dead two officers and injuring another at a rural property in Victoria state.
Hundreds of officers were in the field searching for 56-year-old Dezi Freeman, previously known as Desmond Filby, who is believed to have expert bushcraft skills and multiple powerful firearms, a police spokesperson said.
The search area includes the town of Porepunkah, about 300 kilometers northeast of Melbourne, where Freeman is alleged to have fired on police on Tuesday, before fleeing on foot into the bush.
Bureau of Meteorologist senior forecaster Jonathan How said a severe weather warning was current for the region, which was experiencing challenging conditions of cold, wind and snow.
A very cold night was on the way for the area, including possible black ice on roads, How said. A minimum temperature of 0 degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit) was forecast on Sunday for Porepunkah, according to the weather bureau.
Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan visited nearby Wangaratta police station on Friday to pay tribute to the two slain officers, Detective Leading Senior Constable Neal Thompson, 59, and Senior Constable Vadim De Waart, 35, amid what she said was the “huge operation” by authorities to catch Freeman.
“Their loss won’t be forgotten. With honor they served,” Allan said of the officers on social media platform X.
Freeman is alleged to have fired on a team of 10 police officers, including members of the sexual offenses and child investigation team, when they arrived at his Porepunkah property to execute a search warrant.
Australian media have reported that police believe Freeman is a “sovereign citizen” who regards the government is illegitimate.


North Korea’s Kim consoles families of troops killed fighting for Russia: KCNA

North Korea’s Kim consoles families of troops killed fighting for Russia: KCNA
Updated 30 August 2025

North Korea’s Kim consoles families of troops killed fighting for Russia: KCNA

North Korea’s Kim consoles families of troops killed fighting for Russia: KCNA
  • North Korea only confirmed it had deployed troops to support Russia’s war in Ukraine in April and admitted that its soldiers had been killed in combat

SEOUL: North Korean leader Kim Jong Un met with the families of soldiers killed fighting for Russia against Ukraine and offered condolences for their “unbearable pain,” state media said Saturday.
Pyongyang has not confirmed the number of its soldiers that died fighting for Russia, though Seoul estimates around 600, with thousands more wounded.
South Korean and Western intelligence agencies have said the North sent more than 10,000 soldiers to Russia in 2024 — primarily to the Kursk region — along with artillery shells, missiles and long-range rocket systems.
Kim delivered a speech to the families on Friday, the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported, after meeting with only some of them last week at another public ceremony awarding honors to the soldiers.
“I thought a lot about other martyrs’ families who were not present there. So, I had this meeting arranged as I wanted to meet and console the bereaved families of all the heroes and relieve them of their sorrow and anguish even a little,” Kim said in his speech, according to KCNA.
He pledged to erect a monument in the capital as well as a new street for the bereaved families, while the state would give full support to the troop’s children.
“My heart breaks and aches more at the sight of those little children,” he said.
“I, our state and our army will take full responsibility for them and train them admirably as staunch and courageous fighters like their fathers,” he added.
North Korea only confirmed it had deployed troops to support Russia’s war in Ukraine in April and admitted that its soldiers had been killed in combat.
At the ceremony last week, images released by KCNA showed an emotional Kim embracing a returned solider who appeared overwhelmed, burying his face in the leader’s chest.
The leader was also seen kneeling before a portrait of a fallen soldier to pay his respects and placing medals and flowers beside images of the dead.
In early July, state media again showed a visibly emotional Kim honoring flag-draped coffins, apparently of the deceased soldiers returning home.