China’s top Hong Kong official warns US ‘hillbillies’ over tariffs

China’s top Hong Kong official warns US ‘hillbillies’ over tariffs
Above, a man wraps up goods on a street in Hong Kong on April 15, 2025. US President Donald Trump has increased the levies imposed on China to 145 percent. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 15 April 2025

China’s top Hong Kong official warns US ‘hillbillies’ over tariffs

China’s top Hong Kong official warns US ‘hillbillies’ over tariffs
  • Top Hong Kong official: Imposing tariffs on the city is ‘hegemonic and shameless in the extreme’
  • Xia Baolong: US sanctions and tariffs would not shake the determination of Beijing and Hong Kong governments

HONG KONG: Beijing’s top official overseeing Hong Kong slammed US tariffs on China as “hegemonic” and attacked American “hillbillies” on Tuesday, as the world’s two largest economies face off in a trade war that has battered global markets.
Xia Baolong, director of the Hong Kong and Macao Work Office, said in a speech that the Chinese finance hub has never levied taxes on imports and that the United States enjoyed a $272 billion trade surplus in the city over the past decade.
US President Donald Trump has increased the levies imposed on China to 145 percent, while Beijing has set a retaliatory 125 percent toll on American imports – a move not followed by Hong Kong.
Imposing tariffs on the city is “hegemonic and shameless in the extreme,” and shows that the United States does not want Hong Kong to thrive, Xia said.
The United States, he said, “is the greatest culprit in undermining Hong Kong’s human rights, freedom, rule of law, prosperity and stability.”
“It is not after our ‘tariffs’ – it wants to take our ‘lives’.”
Xia said the US sanctions and tariffs would not shake the determination of Beijing and Hong Kong governments and that “victory must belong to the great Chinese people.”
“Let those American ‘hillbillies’ wail before the 5,000-year-old civilization of the Chinese nation!” he said, adding that anyone seeking to bring China into poverty was an “enemy.”
The comments were part of a pre-recorded speech at a Hong Kong event to mark the 10th iteration of China’s annual national security education day.
Beijing imposed a national security law on Hong Kong after the city saw huge and sometimes violent pro-democracy protests in 2019.
Last year, the city passed another homegrown security law, which officials say is needed to restore order.
The United States imposed a fresh round of sanctions this month on Hong Kong’s outgoing police chief, justice secretary and other officials over human rights concerns.
China’s market regulator is looking into a deal by Hong Kong conglomerate CK Hutchison to offload 43 ports in 23 countries – including its two on the Panama Canal – to a US-led consortium.
The sale was seen as a political victory for Trump, who earlier vowed to “take back” the crucial waterway from alleged Chinese control.
Echoing earlier criticisms of the deal, Xia said on Tuesday “those who sell out the nation’s interest during key moments... will not meet a good end.”
Hong Kong leader John Lee also criticized the US tariffs as “absurd,” saying at the event that the correct reciprocal levy would be “zero” as Hong Kong is a free port.


India’s Modi arrives in Tianjin ahead of summit hosted by China

India’s Modi arrives in Tianjin ahead of summit hosted by China
Updated 10 sec ago

India’s Modi arrives in Tianjin ahead of summit hosted by China

India’s Modi arrives in Tianjin ahead of summit hosted by China
  • The Shanghai Cooperation Organization gathering will be held in the northern port city on Sunday and Monday
  • Narendra Modi’s visit – his first to China since 2018 – comes straight after a trip to Japan
TIANJIN, China: Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi touched down in the Chinese city of Tianjin on Saturday evening, Indian TV networks showed, a day before a summit that will be attended by leaders from more than 20 countries.
The Shanghai Cooperation Organization gathering will be held in the northern port city on Sunday and Monday, days before a massive military parade in nearby Beijing to mark 80 years since the end of World War II.
North Korea’s Kim Jong Un will be among some 26 world leaders slated to attend the parade, though Modi was not on a list of attendees for the parade published by Chinese state media on Thursday.
Modi’s visit – his first to China since 2018 – comes straight after a trip to Japan, which pledged to invest $68 billion in India.
China and IndiA, the world’s two most populous nations, are intense rivals competing for influence across South Asia and fought a deadly border clash in 2020.
A thaw began last October when Modi met with Chinese President Xi Jinping for the first time in five years at a summit in Russia.
The SCO comprises China, India, Russia, Pakistan, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan and Belarus. Another 16 countries are affiliated as observers or “dialogue partners.”
Xi began welcoming leaders including Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Manet and Egyptian Premier Moustafa Madbouly on Saturday.
Russian President Vladimir Putin is also due to arrive in Tianjin ahead of the summit.
China and Russia have used the SCO – sometimes touted as a counter to the Western-dominated NATO military alliance – to deepen ties with Central Asian states.
Other leaders including Iranian and Turkish presidents Masoud Pezeshkian and Recep Tayyip Erdogan will also attend the bloc’s largest meeting since its founding in 2001.
Multiple bilateral meetings are expected to be held on the sidelines of the summit.
The Kremlin said on Friday that Putin will discuss the Ukraine conflict with Erdogan on Monday.
Turkiye has hosted three rounds of peace talks between Russia and Ukraine this year that have failed to break the deadlock over how to end the conflict, triggered when Moscow launched its invasion of its pro-European neighbor in February 2022.
Putin will also meet with his Iranian counterpart Pezeshkian to discuss Tehran’s nuclear program on Monday, a meeting that comes as Iran faces fresh Western pressure.
Britain, France and Germany, known as the E3, triggered a “snapback” mechanism on Thursday to reinstate UN sanctions on Iran for failing to comply with commitments made in a 2015 deal over its nuclear program.
Russia’s foreign ministry warned that the reimposition of sanctions against Iran risked “irreparable consequences.”
Tehran and Moscow have been bolstering political, military and economic ties over the past decade as Russia drifted away from the West.
Relations between them grew even closer after Russia launched its offensive against Ukraine.

New $250 visa fee risks deepening US travel slump

New $250 visa fee risks deepening US travel slump
Updated 1 min 52 sec ago

New $250 visa fee risks deepening US travel slump

New $250 visa fee risks deepening US travel slump
  • Fee impacts travelers from non-visa waiver countries like Mexico, India, China
  • Visa fee raises total cost to $442, among highest globally

NEW YORK: A new $250 “visa integrity fee” imposed on travelers to the United States risks piling more pressure on the struggling travel industry, as overseas arrivals continue to fall due to President Donald Trump’s crackdown on immigration and hostility to many foreign countries. Overseas travel to the US fell 3.1 percent year-on-year in July to 19.2 million visitors, according to US government data. It was the fifth month of decline this year, defying expectations that 2025 would see annual inbound visitors finally surpass the pre-pandemic level of 79.4 million. The new visa fee, set to go into effect on October 1, adds an additional hurdle for travelers from non-visa waiver countries like Mexico, Argentina, India, Brazil and China. The extra charge raises the total visa cost to $442, one of the highest visitor fees in the world, according to the US Travel Association, a membership organization.
“Any friction we add to the traveler experience is going to cut travel volumes by some amount,” said Gabe Rizzi, President of Altour, a global travel management company. “As the summer ends this will become a more pressing issue, and we’ll have to factor the fees into travel budgets and documentation.” International visitor spending in the US is projected to fall below $169 billion this year, down from $181 billion in 2024, according to the World Travel & Tourism Council. The visa fee reinforces a bleak perception of the US under Trump, whose immigration policies, cuts to foreign aid and sweeping tariffs have eroded America’s appeal as a destination — even with major events like the 2026 FIFA World Cup and Los Angeles 2028 Olympics on the horizon. The Trump administration on Wednesday proposed government regulation that aims to tighten the duration of visas for students, cultural exchange visitors and members of the media. In early August, the administration said the US could require bonds of up to $15,000 for some tourist and business visas under a pilot program effective August 20 that will last for approximately a year, in an effort to crack down on visitors overstaying their visas. Tourism Economics, an Oxford Economics consultancy, forecast in December 2024 that overseas travel to the US in 2025 would increase more than 10 percent year-over-year. Instead, it is on track to fall 3 percent, said Aran Ryan, director of industry studies at Tourism Economics.
“We see it as a sustained setback, and we anticipate much of it is in place throughout the administration,” Ryan said.

HARDEST HIT
The newest visa fee is likely to hit hardest in Central and South American countries that have been a rare bright spot for US travel this year.
As of May, travel from Mexico to the US was up nearly 14 percent in 2025, according to the National Travel and Tourism Office.
Arrivals from Argentina rose 20 percent and from Brazil 4.6 percent year-to-date. Overall, travel from Central America grew 3 percent and from South America 0.7 percent, compared with a decline of 2.3 percent from Western Europe.
In China, arrivals have remained muted since the pandemic, with July numbers still 53 percent below 2019 levels. The visa fee also threatens travel from India, where visits are down 2.4 percent so far this year, driven by a near 18 percent drop in students.
For some, the rise in fees will be absorbed as just another cost in an already expensive trip to the US
“The US has always been selective about its visitors. If your financial standing isn’t up to par, getting a visa is tough anyway,” said Su Shu, founder of Chinese firm Moment Travel in Chengdu.
As foreign visitors face higher entry fees, US travelers worry about stricter requirements being imposed abroad, said James Kitchen, travel agent and owner of Seas 2 Day & Travel.
“Travelers have expressed concern around reciprocal fees that may be imposed in the coming months,” Kitchen said.


Pakistan evacuates half a million people stranded by floods

Pakistan evacuates half a million people stranded by floods
Updated 30 August 2025

Pakistan evacuates half a million people stranded by floods

Pakistan evacuates half a million people stranded by floods
  • Three transboundary rivers that cut through Punjab province have swollen to exceptionally high levels
  • Overall, more than 1.5 million people have been affected by the flooding

LAHORE, Pakistan: Nearly half a million people have been displaced by flooding in eastern Pakistan after days of heavy rain swelled rivers, relief officials said Saturday, as they carried out a massive rescue operation.
Three transboundary rivers that cut through Punjab province, which borders India, have swollen to exceptionally high levels, affecting more than 2,300 villages.
Nabeel Javed, the head of the Punjab government’s relief services, said 481,000 people stranded by the floods have been evacuated, along with 405,000 livestock.
Overall, more than 1.5 million people have been affected by the flooding.
“This is the biggest rescue operation in Punjab’s history,” Irfan Ali Khan, the head of the province’s disaster management agency, added at a press conference.
He said more than 800 boats and over 1,300 rescue personnel were involved in evacuating families from affected areas, mostly located in rural areas near the banks of the three rivers.
The latest spell of monsoon flooding since the start of the week has killed 30 people, he said, with hundreds left dead throughout the heavier than usual season that began in June.
“No human life is being left unattended. All kinds of rescue efforts are continuing,” Khan said.
More than 500 relief camps have been set up to provide shelter to families and their livestock.
In the impoverished town of Shahdara, on the outskirts of the provincial capital of Lahore, dozens of families were gathered in a school after fleeing the rising water in their homes.
“Look at all the women sitting with me – they’re helpless and distressed. Everyone has lost everything. Their homes are gone, their belongings destroyed. We couldn’t even manage to bring clothes for their children,” 40-year-old cleaner Tabassum Suleman told AFP.
Rains continued throughout Saturday, including in Lahore, the country’s second-largest city, where an entire housing development was half submerged by water.
Retired shop owner Sikandar Mughal attempted to access his home but the water was still too high.
“When the situation got worse and the water level reached the garage of my house, I took my bike and ran for my life,” the 61-year-old said.
“It’s been two days now since I left. I did not even get a chance to get my clothes so that I could change.”
In mid-August, more than 400 Pakistanis were killed in a matter of days by landslides caused by torrential rains on the other side of the country, in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, close to Afghanistan and the only province held by the opposition to the federal authorities.
In 2022, unprecedented monsoon floods submerged a third of Pakistan, with the southern province of Sindh the worst affected area.


Three arrested after appeals court ruling on UK migrant hotel

Three arrested after appeals court ruling on UK migrant hotel
Updated 30 August 2025

Three arrested after appeals court ruling on UK migrant hotel

Three arrested after appeals court ruling on UK migrant hotel
  • The case came after a resident at the Bell Hotel was charged with sexually assaulting a local girl, sparking weeks of protests
  • More than 50,000 migrants have made the dangerous crossing since Keir Starmer became prime minister

LONDON: Three men were arrested after two police officers suffered minor injuries during a protest outside a UK hotel used to house asylum seekers, police said Saturday.
The new protests, the latest episode in a bitter national debate over immigration policy, came after an appeals court on Friday overturned a lower-court decision temporarily blocking the use of the protest-hit hotel at Epping, northeast of London, to house asylum-seekers.
“The overwhelming majority of people in Epping tonight clearly wanted their voices to be heard and they did that safely and without the need for a police response,” said Assistant Chief Constable Glen Pavelin of Essex police.
“However, the right to protest does not include a right to commit crime and tonight a small number of people were arrested. Two officers sustained injuries which are thankfully not serious,” he added.
The case came after a resident at the Bell Hotel was charged with sexually assaulting a local girl, sparking weeks of protests that have at times turned violent.
The protests in Epping have spread to other parts of Britain, amid growing frustration at the continued arrival of small boats packed with migrants across the English Channel from France.
More than 50,000 migrants have made the dangerous crossing since the Labour Party’s Keir Starmer became prime minister in July 2024.
The three arrested men remained in custody, Essex police said.


One dead, five injured as car slams into crowd in France: prosecutors

One dead, five injured as car slams into crowd in France: prosecutors
Updated 30 August 2025

One dead, five injured as car slams into crowd in France: prosecutors

One dead, five injured as car slams into crowd in France: prosecutors

ROUEN, France: A car slammed into a crowd in the town of Evreux in northern France early Saturday, killing one person and injuring five others, prosecutors told AFP.
After an altercation at a wine bar, “a person allegedly went to fetch a vehicle” and “deliberately reversed at high speed into a crowd outside the establishment,” prosecutor Remi Coutin said, adding that two people were in critical condition.