Two people die in Ukraine’s Odesa after Moscow and Kyiv exchange drone and missile attacks

Two people die in Ukraine’s Odesa after Moscow and Kyiv exchange drone and missile attacks
FILE PHOTO: A Ukrainian serviceman from air defence unit carries a part of a Russian suicide drone downed a few days ago at his position, amid Russia's attack on Ukraine, near Kyiv, Ukraine November 30, 2023. (REUTERS)
Short Url
Updated 15 September 2024

Two people die in Ukraine’s Odesa after Moscow and Kyiv exchange drone and missile attacks

Two people die in Ukraine’s Odesa after Moscow and Kyiv exchange drone and missile attacks

KYIV: Two people died in a missile attack on the Ukrainian Black Sea port city of Odesa, local officials said, as Moscow and Kyiv exchanged drone and missile attacks
The Ukrainian air force said Sunday it shot down 10 of the 14 drones and one of the three missiles Russia launched overnight, while the rest hit the suburbs of Odesa.
Oleh Kiper, Odesa’s regional governor, said the two who died Saturday night were a married couple, and that another person was wounded in the attack.
Meanwhile, the Russian Defense Ministry said it downed 29 Ukrainian drones overnight into Sunday over western and southwestern regions, with no damage caused by the falling debris. It also said another Ukrainian drone was shot down Sunday morning over the western Ryazan region.
While Ukraine and Russia regularly launch overnight drone raids on each other’s territory, Ukrainian officials generally do not confirm or deny attacks within Russia’s borders.
The latest attacks came after Ukraine made a new call Saturday on the West to allow it to use the long-range missiles they have provided to strike targets deep inside Russia, as Ukrainian forces struggle to hold back Russian advances in eastern Ukraine.
So far, the US has allowed Kyiv to use American-provided weapons only in a limited area inside Russia’s border with Ukraine.
Kyiv officials argue the weapons are vital to weaken Russia’s ability to strike Ukraine and force it to move its strike capabilities further from the border.


Ukraine’s Zelensky says suspect arrested in murder of former parliamentary speaker Parubiy

Ukraine’s Zelensky says suspect arrested in murder of former parliamentary speaker Parubiy
Updated 01 September 2025

Ukraine’s Zelensky says suspect arrested in murder of former parliamentary speaker Parubiy

Ukraine’s Zelensky says suspect arrested in murder of former parliamentary speaker Parubiy
  • “The necessary investigative actions are ongoing,” Zelensky said on the Telegram messaging app

Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky said early on Monday that a suspect has been arrested in the murder of former parliamentary speaker Andriy Parubiy.
“The necessary investigative actions are ongoing,” Zelensky said on the Telegram messaging app. “I thank law enforcement for their swift and coordinated work. All the circumstances of this horrific murder must be uncovered.”


A Chinese student was questioned for hours in the US, then sent back even as Trump policies shift

A Chinese student was questioned for hours in the US, then sent back even as Trump policies shift
Updated 24 min 26 sec ago

A Chinese student was questioned for hours in the US, then sent back even as Trump policies shift

A Chinese student was questioned for hours in the US, then sent back even as Trump policies shift
  • The students and scholars were taken into small rooms for extended interrogation, repeatedly questioned on issues unrelated to their academic work, and forced to wait long hours in cold rooms without blankets or quilts, the embassy said
  • There’s no immediate data available on how many Chinese students with valid visas have been interrogated and repatriated from US airports in recent weeks

WASHINGTON: The 22-year-old philosophy student from China did not expect any problems after his 29-hour flight arrived at a Texas airport this month as he was on his way to study at the University of Houston.
His paperwork was in order. He was going to study humanities — not a tech field that might raise suspicions. He had a full scholarship from the US school and had previously spent a semester at Cornell University for an exchange program with no issues.
But the student, who asked to be identified only by his family name, Gu, because of the political sensitivities of the matter, was stopped, interrogated and 36 hours later, put on a plane back to China.
He also was banned from coming back for five years, abruptly halting his dream for an academic career in the United States.
“There is no opportunity for the life I had expected,” Gu said.
He is one of an unknown number of Chinese students with permission to enter the United States who have been sent back to China or faced intense questioning after their arrival, drawing strong protests from Beijing and showing the uncertainty from President Donald Trump’s shifting policies.
His administration has quickly pivoted from a plan to revoke visas for Chinese students to Trump himself saying he would welcome hundreds of thousands of them, partly to help keep some American schools afloat.
The US has put restrictions on Chinese students
Even so, some officials and lawmakers have expressed suspicions about Chinese students, especially those who study advanced technologies such as quantum computing and artificial intelligence, and their possible links to the Chinese government and military. Some lawmakers want to ban Chinese students altogether.
There’s no immediate data available on how many Chinese students with valid visas have been interrogated and repatriated from US airports in recent weeks. US Customs and Border Protection did not respond to a request for that data or for comment on Chinese students being questioned or sent back.
In recent days, Trump said he told Chinese President Xi Jinping that “we’re honored to have their students here.” But he also added, “Now, with that, we check and we’re careful, we see who is there.”
The Chinese Embassy said it has received reports involving more than 10 Chinese students and scholars being interrogated, harassed and repatriated when entering the US.
“The US side has frequently carried out discriminatory, politically driven and selective law enforcement against Chinese students and scholars, inflicting physical and mental harm, financial losses, and disruptions to their careers,” the Chinese Embassy said in a statement.
They were repatriated under the pretext of “so-called ‘visa issues’ or ‘might endanger US national security,’” the embassy said.
The students and scholars were taken into small rooms for extended interrogation, repeatedly questioned on issues unrelated to their academic work, and forced to wait long hours in cold rooms without blankets or quilts, the embassy said. Some relied on aluminum foil to keep warm, and some were detained for more than 80 hours, it said.
Such acts by the US side “run counter to the statements” made by Trump, the embassy said, accusing some US departments and law enforcement personnel of not “faithfully acting on the president’s commitment.” The White House didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
In a Friday interview with the conservative news site Daily Caller, Trump said “it’s very insulting to a country when you say you’re not going to take your students.” The interview was published on Sunday.
“I think what we’re doing is the right thing to do. It’s good to get along with countries, not bad, especially, you know, nuclear-powered countries,” Trump said.
One Chinese student had no concerns as he headed to the US
Gu told AP that he liked his Cornell experience so much that he applied for a master’s program to study philosophy in the US.
Despite reports of stricter policies by the Trump administration, Gu said he wasn’t too worried, not even when he was first stopped and taken to a room for questioning by a customs officer after landing at George Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston. His belongings were searched, and his electronics were taken away, he said.
After the officer went through the devices, he started interrogating Gu, focusing on his ties to the Chinese Communist Party, Gu said.
He said his parents are party members, but he has never joined, though he — like nearly all Chinese teens and young people — is a member of the party’s youth arm, the Communist Youth League.
The customs officer also grilled him on his connections to the governmental China Scholarship Council, which popped up in his chat history. Gu said it came up in his chats with his schoolmates, but he did not receive money from the Chinese government.
Three rounds of interrogation lasted 10 hours, before Gu was told he was to be deported. No specific reason was given, he said, and the removal paperwork he provided to AP indicated inadequate documentation.
By then, he had hardly slept for 40 hours. The waiting room where he was kept was lit around the clock, its room temperature set low.
“I was so nervous I was shaking, due to both being freezing cold and also the nerves,” Gu said. “So many things were going through my head now that I was being deported. What should I do in the future?”
It would be another day before he was put on a flight. Now, Gu is considering appealing the decision, but that might take years and cost thousands of dollars.

 


Fresh protests outside UK hotels housing asylum seekers

Fresh protests outside UK hotels housing asylum seekers
Updated 31 August 2025

Fresh protests outside UK hotels housing asylum seekers

Fresh protests outside UK hotels housing asylum seekers
  • On Sunday evening, hundreds of people gathered outside a hotel in London calling for the removal of asylum seekers housed there
  • Frustration in the UK is growing over the continued arrival of small boats carrying migrants across the Channel from France

EPPING: Hundreds of protesters gathered again Sunday outside a hotel in southern England at the focus of a legal battle over migrants, calling for foreign criminals to be deported.
The Bell Hotel in Epping, northeast London, became a flashpoint for protests in July after an asylum seeker staying there was charged with sexual assault for attempting to kiss a 14-year-old girl. The man charged has denied the allegation.
The demonstrations have since spread to other parts of Britain, at times turning violent.
The latest protests, at Epping and elsewhere in England, come two days after an appeal court overturned a lower court ruling that had temporarily blocked the use of the Bell Hotel to house asylum-seekers.
On Sunday evening, hundreds of people gathered outside the hotel again, calling for the removal of asylum seekers housed there.
“Send them home, please protect me,” read one T-shirt worn by a young girl. A boy held up a sign saying “Deport foreign criminals.”
Several protesters waved Union Jacks and English flags.
Immigration policy
A bitter national debate over immigration policy has been raging in the UK, amid growing frustration over the continued arrival of small boats carrying migrants across the Channel from France.
The asylum-seeker charged with having tried to kiss a minor is a 38-year-old Ethiopian, who had arrived in England just days earlier after crossing the Channel in a small boat.
More than 50,000 migrants have made the dangerous Channel crossing from northern France since the Labour Party’s Keir Starmer became prime minister in July 2024.
Epping Council had initially secured a temporary court order banning the use of the Bell Hotel to house asylum seekers, but an appeals court in London overturned that ruling on Friday.
Also Sunday, around a hundred demonstrators gathered in support of asylum seekers outside a hotel in London’s Canary Wharf district.
Counter-protesters opposing immigration also attended the demonstration.
London’s Metropolitan Police later reported that “a small number of masked protesters... became aggressive toward members of the public and police,” adding that officers had arrested four people.
On Saturday, five people were also arrested after a group of masked men attempted to enter a hotel housing asylum seekers near Heathrow Airport.
As of the end of June, more than 32,000 asylum seekers were being accommodated in just over 200 hotels across the UK.
The Labour government has pledged to end the use of hotels for asylum accommodation by 2029, citing high costs.


Von der Leyen says Europe is drawing up ‘precise’ plans to send troops to Ukraine, FT reports

Local residents walk out of the residential building heavily damaged three days ago during a Russian attack.
Local residents walk out of the residential building heavily damaged three days ago during a Russian attack.
Updated 52 min 23 sec ago

Von der Leyen says Europe is drawing up ‘precise’ plans to send troops to Ukraine, FT reports

Local residents walk out of the residential building heavily damaged three days ago during a Russian attack.
  • “President Trump reassured us that there will be (an) American presence as part of the backstop,” von der Leyen told the FT
  • Deployment is set to include potentially tens of thousands of European-led troops, backed by assistance from the US

LONDON: Europe is drawing up “pretty precise plans” for a multinational troop deployment to Ukraine as part of post-conflict security guarantees that will have the backing of US capabilities, European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen told the Financial Times in an interview published Sunday.
“President Trump reassured us that there will be (an) American presence as part of the backstop,” von der Leyen told the FT, adding that “That was very clear and repeatedly affirmed.”
The deployment is set to include potentially tens of thousands of European-led troops, backed by assistance from the US, including control and command systems and intelligence and surveillance assets, the report said, adding that this arrangement was agreed at a meeting between US President Donald Trump, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and senior European leaders last month.
European leaders, including German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer, NATO Secretary-General Mark Rutte and von der Leyen are expected to gather in Paris on Thursday, at the invitation of French President Emmanuel Macron, to continue the high-level discussions on Ukraine, the FT reported, citing three diplomats briefed on the plans.


UK still intends to recognize Palestinian state, Foreign Secretary David Lammy to tell MPs

UK still intends to recognize Palestinian state, Foreign Secretary David Lammy to tell MPs
Updated 31 August 2025

UK still intends to recognize Palestinian state, Foreign Secretary David Lammy to tell MPs

UK still intends to recognize Palestinian state, Foreign Secretary David Lammy to tell MPs
  • PM Keir Starmer said move would be made before UN General Assembly

LONDON: The UK remains on course to recognize a Palestinian state in September, Foreign Secretary David Lammy will tell MPs on Monday, .

Lammy is expected to confirm in a House of Commons statement that officials will carry out a formal assessment in the coming days as to whether Israel has complied with the conditions set out by Prime Minister Keir Starmer.

One UK official told the newspaper: “We will assess all the factors relevant to recognition. But, as things stand, we’re on a pathway to recognition.”

Starmer said that the UK would recognize Palestine before the UN General Assembly, which begins on Sept. 9, unless Israel took “substantive steps” to end the war in Gaza, agreed to a ceasefire, and committed not to annex parts of the West Bank.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government has instead hardened its stance, with signs of moving in the opposite direction.

Reuters reported on Sunday that Israel was considering annexation in the West Bank if the UK, France and other countries proceed with recognizing Palestine.

Israeli officials said the issue was discussed at Netanyahu’s Cabinet meeting on Sunday, but gave no indication of where or when annexation could take place.

The British Foreign Office has just over a week to complete its formal assessment of Israel’s position.

Senior officials have said that the timing of Britain’s recognition is being driven more by diplomatic concerns to act in concert with France than by the assessment itself.

Lammy also warned on Sunday that the worsening humanitarian crisis in Gaza, where UN-backed experts have declared a famine in parts of the enclave, was a “man-made catastrophe” caused by Israel’s refusal to allow in sufficient aid.

“The humanitarian situation in Gaza remains catastrophic, with famine in Gaza City and women and girls bearing the brunt of the suffering,” Lammy said in a statement.

“The UK is doing all we can to improve the situation but we remain crystal clear: For aid to have impact, Israel must ensure it is allowed in and delivered safely and securely to civilians in desperate need.”

The government on Sunday announced an additional £3 million ($4.05 million) to provide midwives and emergency medical supplies for new mothers in Gaza. But it stressed that the support would only reach those in need if Israel permitted greater humanitarian access.

“This funding can only have maximum impact if the government of Israel allows it,” Lammy said.

“Israel must ensure protection of civilians including healthcare staff and health infrastructure, and enable the delivery of lifesaving medicines, medical equipment and healthcare supplies into Gaza.”

The long road to Palestinian statehood
An Arab News Deep Dive
Enter
keywords